Product Development Junior Buyer - Job Description
Cottage Door Press is an independent book publisher of high-quality children's books. We were founded on the belief that every child deserves an excellent first book experience — beginning on the day they’re born. The company was recognized by “Publishers Weekly”, in 2017 and 2018, for being the fastest growing book publishing company in the country.
Join us to work with creative, talented, entrepreneurial, hardworking colleagues in an enterprise that promotes early literacy and family bonding.
Report to Director of Purchasing.
Work cross-functionally to identify requirements, request prototypes, and acquire quotes. Ensure on-time delivery and manage overall supply risk based on the product nature, manufacturing process, and potential sales outlets.
The requirements and responsibilities for this position are as follows:
- New Product Development
- Work with the Creative team on New Product Development to identify requirements, request prototypes, acquire quotes. Provide valuable input to Creative and management in order to design the product cost-effectively and minimize manufacturing risks.
- Recommend preferred supplier(s) based prototype quality, pricing, supply strategy, and supply risk.
- Accurately document the PD process and results, quotation and product spec.
- Vendor and Supply Management
- Obtain understanding of the supplier capacity, supplier lead times, supplier production and shipping timelines
- Work with inventory management and sales to prioritize inbound shipments from Asia factory based on detailed understanding of actual and forecasted customer orders while ensuring each shipment maximizes shipping container loads
- Highlight and manage any critical shipments facing risk (i.e. quality issue, material shortage, etc.). Track, manage and communicate production and shipment issues at factories
- Effective management of all supplier and inbound logistics costs
- Track supplier performance metrics
- Be a team player and problem-solver
- Participate in weekly PD and production meetings, bi-monthly forecast meetings, and new product development planning meetings
- Coordinate testing, samples, documentation, data analysis and process documentation etc. to ensure on time, on cost and on quality delivery to our customers.
- Be the backup for PO cutting or logistics coordination as needed
The successful candidate must also possess the following qualities and skills:
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited University (or equivalent)
- Minimum 2+ years of experience working in a purchasing and logistics environment, purchasing from outsourced Asian contract manufacturers, and managing both import and domestic logistics programs.Previous experience in a retail product and distribution environment preferred
- Knowledge and experience in Oracle Netsuite ERP system a plus.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills; ability to make quick and smart decisions
- Superb interpersonal as well as written and verbal communication skills while interacting with internal teams, suppliers, and customers on timely, complex topics
- Candidate must be detail oriented and extremely organized, with ability to multi-task and manage multiple suppliers and projects at the same time. Strong project management skills required.
- Must work very well cross functionally in a team environment, and have a strong ability to see the big picture of cross functional objectives and the end-to-end business
- Honest, solid work ethic and self-motivated; individual must show a strong sense of accountability, urgency and ability to learn quickly and independently in a dynamic and fast-paced environment with the flexibility to work with the time differences of Asian suppliers
- Individual must be a self-starter and have initiative and leadership skills to expand the role and responsibilities within a growing organization